Wednesday, December 30, 2015

I did not know I would Help


Some of my recent blog posts have opened me up to people, and they have confided in me and thanked me for being upfront and expressing myself in a way that gets my point across.  They have told me that my words have helped them; they have shared my words with others. That means a lot to me. I appreciate it. 

I was not looking at making this blog about my transition away from the LDS Church. But it is heading that way.  Those posts have gotten the most positive responses and that has kept my confidence going and helping me feel that I am helping others at the same time I am helping myself.  
I am going to continue to share my Spiritual journey, but also my Life journey.  They will intertwine for sure as it does for all of us.  I will continue to share stories, examples and my point of view on the good, bad and ugly of the Church and my life.

I am not going to bash the Church. I am going to share my view and opinion. If it will offend you so be it. I can't worry about that.

I guess the biggest challenge of my life right now is finally cutting the strings and sending in my Church resignation.  It is hard. And it is not hard because “I still believe” or “my decision will effect countless generations of family members”. It is hard because of the way people will perceive and treat Liz and McKinley when I take that step. It has already happened. Some people have decided that just because I am following my heart, they have started to take it out on them and or assume many things about our marriage and myself.  I posted this before ( http://jonathankmarshall.blogspot.com/2015/11/adverse-effects.html )

So again, I ask you. If you feel that my decision is going to affect you and how you treat my wife and daughter, please remember that it is my decision, they support me. I am not doing anything to influence Liz or McKinley to step away from their religion.  I support Liz in going and her spiritual growth. I support McKinley in going to Primary and learning what is taught. But I am also not going to hide or shield her from other aspects of life and things that should be enjoyed and not shunned or treated as taboo.  And that goes for all aspects of her life. Liz and I are raising her OUR way not anyone else’s.

If you feel that you are not ok with it and can’t be friends or close to us that IS on YOU and I am sorry that you can’t see that I am the same person. We just have different Sunday schedules and I am sure different viewpoints on most things. But that will never stop me from being a friend.
So thank you for all of you who read this blog. I hope I can continue to help in any way you need.

Quote of the Day:

“My journey through life has led me through both light and dark places, and it’s because of those experiences that I have learned how to work through my character defects and to help others do the same” – Jessie Pavelka

Video of the Day:


What If: Five for Fighting


4 comments:

  1. Yeah. Assumptions. GROSS assumptions. Coming from people who should and do know better, yet for some reason fail to practice what they preach. It's all too familiar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. taught one thing, do another. The Assumptions are always fun to hear.

      Delete
  2. Jon and M-U,

    Isn't interesting how so many misunderstand that opinions are just that: opinions and not facts. Also, isn't it interesting how some forget the Articles of Faith, particularly the one about respecting others' beliefs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I respect others beliefs and the way they worship. All i am doing on this blog is sharing my story and if something i have done or said helps in some way for them. If it upsets them, so be it. That is on them. My beliefs and opinions are just that. MINE. I can not convince anyone any different.

      Delete